Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What God can do with a little insomnia...

As one of the newest "Karama Mamas," I couldn't be more excited about what awaits me in being a part of this incredible journey. Karama has been something I have been aware of and have followed now for several years. I have heard the many stories through Dyan (my high school Young Life leader) and have always felt a tug on my heart to want to be a part of something this grande one day.

I had bought a scarf here...and had a Karama party there....but it just wasn't enough.

And so the door was opened.

One evening about 9 months ago I was lying on my couch in Fairview, TN watching the evening news (Channel 4...which is by far our favorite!) I saw an interview with 2 young women about my age that had started something called 147 Million Orphans. It stirred something in me. These women had begun an organization making t-shirts (not just any t-shirt...cool, trendy ones that you might see artsy musicians wearing when you spot them in Starbuck's) and the proceeds went to helping the 147 million orphans around the world.

That night, as I lay in bed wide awake at 3 a.m. (due to my pregnancy insomnia), Karama came to my heart and I decided to get up and email Dyan (in Africa) to ask if there was any need that I might be able to fill within Karama. She responded with a resounding YES!

The dreaming began. She and I emailed back and forth almost daily for several weeks, just brainstorming what could be and should be and what we hoped would be....

And now I'm here. Living back in my hometown of Newburgh, IN. I am just beginning to learn the depth of this amazing ministry and how God can use my gifts to be a part of what He has already begun in the lives of the beautiful artists in Africa that make up the heart of Karama.

So so thankful to be a part of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment